KXIP vs KKR Live Score

A Texas man is recovering after he was bitten in the hand by a rattlesnake he had just decapitated, ABC Corpus Christi affiliate KIII reported.

Jennifer Sutcliffe and her husband were doing weekend yard work when she spotted a 4-foot rattlesnake.

When he picked up the snake's remains to dispose them, the head bit him. "He had to rip it off".

"There are about 6,000 to 8,000 snake bites per year in the country, and 10-12 people die", trauma surgeon Michael Halpert told Kiii TV.

"They HALO-Flighted him into the hospital", Sutcliffe said, explaining she could not get to the emergency room quickly enough so met with an ambulance en-route.

"Within two miles down the road, he was going through seizures, slipping out of conscious and couldn't see".

Mrs Sutcliffe said her husband needed 26 doses of antivenom, where a normal patient gets two to four doses. Upon spotting a four-foot rattlesnake, the man (unnamed in media reports) severed its head with a shovel.

A man's encounter with a rattlesnake the weekend of May 27 nearly ended his life.

Weary Alexander Zverev out as Dominic Theim reaches last four
Play was suspended due to fading light, with Russian Daria Kasatkina leading 7-6 (5) 3-3 against second-seeded Caroline Wozniacki. He made a decision to carry on, but looked nothing like the player who had been tipped by some to win Roland Garros.


The excessive venom almost proved fatal for Milo, who had seizures, lost his vision and began to bleed internally on his trip to the hospital.

But what the Sutcliffes didn't know is that snakes can still bite and inject venom for at least an hour, if not more, after being decapitated.

He was eventually airlifted to Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, she said.

However, he is still experiencing weak kidney function more than a week after the incident.

If you thought cutting the head off a venomous snake made them safe to handle, think again.

Texas is home to at least six rattlesnake species.

The bite reflex is stronger in venomous snakes than it is in some other carnivores because these snakes use their bite differently than other meat-eaters, Beaupré said.

He also encouraged people never to suck out the venom as characters in TV shows and movies often do.


COMMENTS