He didn't comment on the health of the boys or how well the operation had gone. And while oxygen is placed along the road, one experienced ex-Thai Navy SEAL diver lost his life last week while replacing the oxygen canisters.
Authorities have been tightlipped about the progress of Monday's operation.
But the chances of monsoon rains sending torrents of water into the cave and making the rescue effort too risky is never far from the minds of everyone involved in the operation. That brought the total number of boys rescued to five.
Eight boys and coach remain trapped.
The president of soccer's governing body, FIFA, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday if they make it out in time.
Medics appeared to remove one person on a stretcher but hid the person's identity behind multiple white umbrellas.
On Monday, a witness revealed that the fifth boy was brought out of the flooded cave at around 4.30 p.m. local time (via CNN). It was unclear who was inside the ambulance or the helicopter.
Narongsak Osatanakorn, the former Chiang Rai governor who's been heading the rescue operation, said the four children had to dive more than half a mile to get to safety.
They are part of a youth soccer team known as the Wild Boars.
Families have not been told which boys are free, so all parents have agreed to remain at the cave until the entire team is rescued.
Pickford reshaping opinions of English goalies at World Cup
Yet the performances of Gareth Southgate's squad - the second youngest at the tournament - are being celebrated wildly back home. There was another against Sweden , with Maguire heading in a driven corner from Ashley Young in the 30th minute.
The rescue mission is expected to resume Tuesday morning local time to bring out the remainder of the team. It takes several hours.
Mr Narongsak said that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square meters.
Eight boys are still inside the cave and along with the team coach. According to ABC news, the fearless rescuer lost consciousness on his way out of one of the passageways because he did not have enough oxygen in his tank to make it back. So the sub still could come into play on a third day of rescues.
It was originally reported that the strongest would be extracted first.
The boys and their coach went exploring in the massive Tham Luang Nang Non cave on June 23 after a soccer practice, and were cut off when a rainstorm flooded the cave. Rescue crews are anxious about the amount of air the trapped children are using, which is being drained rapidly.
Phuwadech Kamnguen, a 14-year-old best friend of one of the trapped boys, said he's looking forward to eating KFC with the team again.
Workers have been laboring around the clock to pump water out of the cave, and officials said Monday that despite heavy downpours overnight, water levels inside the cave did not rise. "The boys' strength, the plan - today we are ready like before".
Monday's mission involved 18 divers from Thailand and overseas.
Even tech billionaire Elon Musk has been lending a helping hand.
Rescue operation paused for 10 hours as teams prepare.
However, after news of the rescue of four boys emerged, Musk tweeted, "Hopefully useful".
The names of the rescued boys were not released.