KXIP vs KKR Live Score

Harmful bacteria from a dog's saliva gave the Wisconsin man a rare blood infection that forced doctors to amputate, The Washington Post reports .

An infection spread all over his body, likely caused by bacteria - which a doctor said came from being licked by a dog.

According to medical experts, Greg Manteufel, of West Bend, Wisconsin, went to the emergency room last month after he thought he contracted the flu.

'It hit him with a vengeance, ' his wife, Dawn Manteufel, told WITI.

"It looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat".

Within a week, doctors told him they had to cut off his legs - as the disease, which caused 48-year-old Manteufel's blood pressure to plummet and the circulation in his limbs to dramatically decrease. However, there have only been about 500 cases logged in the US and Canada since 1976 of the bacteria causing sepsis when no dog bite was found. Surprisingly enough, they did do it, ' she said.

Mark Hamill Talks Carrie Fisher’s Appearance in Star Wars: Episode IX
BBC reports that it was announced last week that Star Wars: Episode IX would see Fisher featured as Princess Leia Organa. Episode IX will be the sequel to Star Wars : The Last Jedi and the final installment in the Star Wars trilogy.

Munoz-Price said the case is simply a fluke.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by a family friend to raise funds for prosthetic legs and plastic surgery on Greg's nose. Her husband has a history of good health and spent his life around dogs, which is why it caught them off guard. The majority of dogs are known to carry the Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria in their mouths, and a quick lick is all it would take for that bacteria to be transmitted. Within a week, doctors had to amputate his legs and had to undergo surgery to remove a portion of his hands, as well as half of his forearms. Anyone bitten by a dog is urged to seek medical attention immediately even if they feel fine.

The infection very likely entered Manteufel's system by a lick from a dog, probably his own. The CDC says it's fatal in about 30 percent of people who get infected, sometimes within 72 hours of the onset of symptoms.

The bacteria, called Capnocytophaga canimorsus, "just attacked him", Dawn said, and it did so quickly and aggressively.

Jason Marchand, the page's creator, said: "Greg has held his head high and is taking all the news like a beast".

"He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time", it reads. Heavy drinkers, people who have had their spleens removed, and individuals with HIV or cancer are most at risk for contracting the infection.