"Whoever is behind this is not just putting families at risk across Queensland and the rest of Australia - they are putting an entire industry at risk", Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said Saturday.
Australian authorities earlier this week asked consumers to throw away strawberries bought from Woolworths Group if they bore the brand of Berry Licious or Berry Obsession, after three punnets were discovered to include fruit embedded with sewing needles.
Police said no one was injured by the contaminated berries by the brand Delightful Strawberries, sourced from Queensland. "We have to come together".
Queensland Police are now heading an investigation aimed at tracking down the source of the needles.
Among the reports cited by the BBC are a 9-year-old boy who's said to have bit into a strawberry with a needle (he didn't swallow it) and a 21-year-old man who reportedly went to the ER after he ingested half a needle and experienced "severe abdominal pain". He is being assessed by medics but his condition is not known.
Meanwhile an Aldi Australia spokesperson said on Saturday the German chain had "taken the proactive step of withdrawing all strawberries for sale in ALDI stores across Queensland, NSW, ACT, South Australia and Victoria".
Browns to release WR Josh Gordon
As NFL fans know all too well, Gordon has been suspended multiple times for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Browns head coach Hue Jackson had said in mid August that he never lost trust in Gordon.
On Friday, six brands of strawberries were flagged as potentially affected by the sabotage.
"The contamination relates to what appears to be needles inserted in strawberries".
Consumers have been urged to cut up their strawberries before eating.
He said unless confidence and sales recovered quickly, growers would have to leave strawberries on the ground to rot.
Queensland's Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said the department was "working closely with our local and interstate counterparts as the investigation continues and are committed to keeping the public informed as this progresses".
NSW police say they are continuing to liaise with retailers to ensure that all stock from the affected date has been removed from sale.